The Vital Equine Holistic Approach
- Aromatherapy relaxes the nervous patient or one with tension, resistance, fear, aggression or pain that may otherwise slow down the ability to have a peaceful healing session.
- Physical Exam and diagnostics (i.e. blood work, fecal/parasite testing etc.) are performed just as your traditional veterinarian would provide. This helps determine a minimum database of information from which to work with and expand upon for whole body health and wellness.
- Traditional Chinese veterinary medical exam takes into account a deeper perspective of the body's level of functioning. Allows assessment of issues that traditional medicine alone cannot appreciate on physical exam or traditional diagnostics.
- Acupuncture opens the energy channels, dispels Qi stagnation (which is the main source of pain), harmonizes internal organ function and stimulates release of various nuerotransmitters which direct the body back to a state of health and normal physiological function with gentleness and ease. Relieves pain.
- Massage therapy increases blood flow, improves delivery of nutrients and removal of toxins, awakens muscles and nerves, releases tension, stiffness, adhesions and muscle resistance allowing the body to have free flow of energy with minimized pain and restrictions.
- Once massage therapy and acupuncture have been performed, this places the body in a much better "space" to accept gentle chiropractic realignment. This brings about optimal posture and balance to the body. Joints are able to stay in alignment much longer. Constant, improper wear and tear on joints is minimized. Muscles are better able to flex and extend equally. Range of motion is maximized. Improved blood flow allows nourishment to the tissues and removal of waste. The cerebrospinal fluid and spinal cord are able to perform their functions with less stress or interference. The patient's whole system is revived.
- Muscle Testing (Applied Kinesiology) is used to help determine stressors in the body that make it weak and match them with the healing remedies or modalities that correct the stressor and restore strength to the body. Homeopathic, herbal or nutritional medicine is typically used along with body work.
- Homeopathic medicines and Bach Flower essences assist animals showing fear, stress and anxiety by addressing the mental, emotional and spiritual blocks. Homeopathics can also be used to help clear and eliminate toxins from the body.
- Herbal and Nutritional Medicine treats the specific underlying condition that caused the ailment in the first place. These medicines reinforce and help sustain progress in between treatments with Dr. Fenton.
- Reiki promotes healing by treating the whole animal including body, emotions, mind and spirit creating many beneficial effects that include relaxation and feelings of peace, security and well-being. It is administered by "laying on hands" and is based on the idea that an unseen "life force energy" flows through us and is what causes us to be alive. If one's "life force energy" is low, then we are more likely to get sick or feel stress, and if it is high, we are more capable of being happy and healthy.
- The blend of all these therapies puts in motion a body, mind, and spirit that has free flowing energy and is capable of healing.
- Sustaining this state of well-being with regular follow-up holistic veterinary care, diet recommendations and herbal/supplemental therapy is the vital foundation to long-term success.
As a result we have healthier, happier animals moving more freely and living with minimized degenerative changes, restrictions and pain. The road to recovery can be long and sometimes very challenging, but with the right care and state of mind lies the opportunity for triumphant success.
**Not every patient will receive everything listed above. Dr. Fenton will decide what will help your horse most.
Dr. Fenton's horses are pictured above after their custom-tailored holistic treatments. They received aromatherapy, chiropractic adjustments, massage therapy, Reiki energy healing, dry needle acupuncture and injections of vitmain B12, adequan and their own blood in the acupuncture points. As you can see, they are very relaxed, feeling good and what Dr. Fenton calls "Zen'd out."
A Brief Example of an Initial Holistic Consult with
Dr. Rhiannon Fenton, DVM...
Dr. Rhiannon Fenton, DVM...